Involving Consumers in Health and Medical Research: A practical handbook for organisations, researchers, consumers and funders
The value of involving consumers in health and medical research cannot be underestimated. Consumer and community involvement (CCI) brings a unique perspective to all areas of research including planning, policy, funding, evaluation and reporting, as well as participation in the research project.
WAHTN has developed a CCI Handbook as part of an Australian Health Research Alliance national initiative funded by the Medical Research Future Fund, with additional support from our partners. It complements the rich suite of consumer involvement research, frameworks, policies and toolkits that have been developed by governments and organisations Australia-wide and internationally, and addresses a key barrier to embedding CCI: how to start.
This Handbook recognises four stakeholders in the CCI ecosystem: organisations, researchers, consumers and funders. The unique symbiotic relationship between these stakeholders is at the heart of successful consumer involvement.
The Handbook contains:
- The Five Phases for successful embedding of Consumer Involvement:
- Phase 1 – Commitment
- Phase 2 – Planning and Preparation
- Phase 3 – Managing for Success
- Phase 4 – Evaluating the Involvement
- Phase 5 – Concluding the Involvement
- The Steps: Clear steps for each phase for each stakeholder
- The Tools: Practical resources to support each step
Download the full Handbook
Download the Quick Guide
Download the individual stakeholder section